Footwear Certification Explained
EN86/686/EEC Conformity is used for footwear that meets the EN20345 tests, but cannot be certified because the construction of the product is not recognised by the European testing standards agencies. This means that due to the shape and height of certain elements of the footwear it cannot be categorised as a shoe, boot or a wellington boot? it's unique and there is not a clasification for this style yet. These products have toecaps resistant to 200J, a water resistant upper and are tested for slip rating on a smooth steel plate with glycerol and have also been tested for their thermal resistant properties.
EN20345 is the standard protection for professional safety footwear.
There is a qualifying test which all safety footwear must pass and then other additional test’s relating to additional safety aspects of the boot can be tested and certified against.
These will vary depending on the specific requirements for the footwear. iIn the below section you will find an example and explination of the footwear certification codes.
Optional categories (short codes)* Rated using either SB, SB-P,S1, S1-P, S2, S3
Insulation against the cold Where the upper is tested for it’s insulating properties. The standard test temperature is -17°C
Slip resistance** Rated using Either SRA, SRB or SRC (SRC being the top rating)
Additional Safety Standards met Specifies any additional tests performed and the rating which they receive
EN ISO 20345:2011 - SB Toe protection tested with 200 J impact and 15 kN compression force
OPTIONAL CATEGORIES OF PROTECTION
- HROHeat resistant outsole compound tested at 300ºC
- PPenetration resistant outsole tested at 1100 Newtons force
- AElectrical resistance between foot and ground of between 0.1 and 1000 Mega Ohms
- CElectrical resistance between foot and ground of less than 0.1 Mega Ohms §
- CIInsulation against cold
- HIInsulation against heat
- EEnergy absorption of the seat region tested at 20 joules
- WRUWater resistant upper leather
- IInsulating footwear
- ANAnkle protection
- WRWater resistant footwear
- CRCut resistant footwear
- MMetatarsal protection 100J impact energy
* SHORT CODES
- SB:Toe protection to 200J
- SB-P:As above with a penetration resistant sole
- S1:Upper from material other than all rubber or polymeric + Closed seat region + SB + A + E
- S1-P:As above with the eddition of a penetration resistant sole
- S2:Has met all S1 Requirements with the addition of WRU (Waterresistant upper leather)
- S3:Has met all requirements for both S1 & S2 and also includes P (penetration resistant sole) and has cleated outersoles
- Footwear Marked "SCA"has achieved a minimum CoF of 0.28 in the heel and 0.32 tested flat using a pressed clay tile floor surface with Sodium Lauryl Sulphate lubricant.
- Footwear Marked "SCB" has achieved a minimum CoF of 0.13 in the heel and 0.18 tested flat using a stainless steel floor surface with Glycerol lubricant.
- Footwear Marked "SCC"has met requirements of both SRA & SRB
NB:Footwear with these markings will offer some reduction to the risks of slipping; it will not remove the risk all together. Extra care should be taken in highly slippery environments.